MLFinnell #711

Michael L. Finnell Lodge No. 711

Stated Meetings:
First Saturday
Jan-Jun/Sep-Dec @9:00 AM
1267 YELLOW SPRINGS-FAIRFIELD RD.
FAIRBORN OH, 45324
History
Chartered October 20, 1932
On April 26, 1932 Master Masons from Yellow Springs Lodge # 421, New Carlisle Lodge # 100, and Xenia Lodge # 49 met under dispensation until a Charter was granted to them by the Grand Lodge of Ohio on October 20, 1932. The first Worshipful Master was Howard C. Sheetz a Past Master of New Carlisle Lodge. The first Senior and Junior Wardens were Orville Armstrong and Ira Kneisley respectively, with Walter Gray being the first Secretary.
 
In April of 1950 the Brethren moved from the original Temple on N. Broad Street to the second Temple on N. First Street. On March 9, 1954 the first 711 Bulletin was published, a tradition that continues to this day. On September 28th, 1956 Howard Sheetz received his 33rd degree. Michael L. Finnell’s membership reached 754 Masons in July 1960 and in November of that same year they sponsored the formation of Fairborn Lodge # 764. On May 27th, 1972 the Brethren raised 13 Master Masons in one day.
 
On July 14th, 1974 the Lodge moved to it’s present location on W. Yellow Springs-Fairfield Road along with Fairborn Lodge # 764. Within three years The Fairborn Masonic Temple was paid for and on April 23rd, 1977 a mortgage burning ceremony was held. On March 20th, 1982 the Brethren celebrated the 50th Anniversary with Michael L. Finnell Lodge # 711 being Reconsecrated by Most Worshipful Brother Charles B. Moody, where at that time the membership stood at 642 Brethren.
In 2008 the Brethren celebrated the 75th Anniversary and continue into the new millennium as an active Lodge in the Super 8th Masonic District.
 
Submitted – David C. Trainer, WM 2010
 
In 1932, Michael L. FINNELL Lodge was organized at Fairfield by more than seventy Masons.  In this organization, Xenia Lodge No. 49 furnished three members; Yellow Springs Lodge thirty-eight; and most of the rest transferred there from New Carlisle Lodge No. 100.  In addition to this loss of membership, and loss of dues there from, Yellow Springs Lodge lost jurisdiction of that part of its territory where most of the active money was in evidence, and from which during the years immediately preceding most of its petitions had been received.  But one should consider the advantages to Masonry throughout the state, rather than the disadvantages to one locality.
 
GOLDEN RULE LODGE NO. 31, FREE AND ACCEPTED MASONS.
 
The first Masonic lodge in Greene county to surrender its charter was the one established at Fairfield more than a hundred years ago. It was in 1817 that the lodge was instituted in the village under the name of Golden Rule Lodge No. 31, the lodge antedating the one established at Xenia by a couple of years. The lodge maintained a more or less regular career until 1833 when it was found necessary because of the prevalence of the anti-Masonic feeling then raging throughout the country, to suspend the lodge. It was never reopened.