Fayette #107

Fayette Lodge No. 107

 
Stated Meetings:
Second Wednesday
Jan-Jun/Sep-Dec@ 7:30 PM
Loading
Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit
118 E. Market Street
WASHINGTON C H OH, 43160
Old Lodge
New Lodge
History
Chartered November 20th, 1840
In January 1831, a number of Master Masons from Fayette County, most of whom had received their Master Mason Degrees from either Pickaway Lodge #23, or Highland Lodge #38, filed a petition with the Grand Lodge of Ohio, requesting a dispensation to meet and work as a Lodge in Washington Court House, Ohio.
The first Lodge meetings were held on the second floor of a frame building on the south side of Court Street.  The Lodge moved several times in the following years because of a cyclone destroying one temple and another one by fire.  In 1897, Fayette Lodge #107 built the Lodge at 113 South Main Street.  The building was damaged by fire several times during the 109 years the Lodge met there.  In 2002 the building was sold, so the membership could acquire a single story building accessible to a greater number of members who could no longer climb the steps.  In the spring of 2006 the membership voted to build a new Lodge at 118 East Market St.  The memories of Fayette Lodge #107 at 113 South Main St, having been there for 109 years of the 167 years of Masonry in Washington Court House will be with us form many years to come.
Form the period of 1839 through 1876, only ten Brothers served as Worshipful Master,  Worshipful Brother Mills Gardner served as Master of Fayette Lodge 11 times; 1861 – 1870 and again in 1874.
In 1892 the Masonic Districts were realigned and Fayette Lodge went from the 13th Masonic District to the 8thMasonic District.
From 1960 to 1962, the membership stood at 438 members, the highest total achieved since receiving their Charter.
More History:
Fayette Lodge No. 107, Free and Accepted Masons, at Washington C. H., the pioneer secret body in Fayette county, was instituted and commenced work on December 7, 1839, pursuant to a dispensation granted by the deputy grand master of the grand lodge of Ohio, under date of November 29, 1839. The lodge was dedicated December 26, 1840. The charter members of this lodge were Joel S. Bereman, Samuel F. Yeoman, Samuel Milhkan, Joseph Bell, Jacob Ott, Valentine Coil and Daniel McLain. J. S. Bereman was the first worshipful master; Jacob Ott, senior warden; S. F. Yeoman, junior warden; James Sharp, senior deacon; Daniel McLain, junior deacon; Joseph Bell, treasurer; Samuel Millikan, secretary; Valentine Coil, tyler.
The membership in October, 1914, was two hundred and thirty-one. Of this number there were fifty-one resident Masons. The present elective officers are: Worshipful master, Ernest E. Ellis; senior warden, Harry M. Rankin; junior warden, Ray D. Post; treasurer, William H. Dial; secretary, John L. McFadden; senior deacon, Amos Thornton; junior deacon, Omer F. Sturgeon; chaplain, E. B. Arbogast; organist, James Whelpley; master of ceremonies, Anda E. Henkle ; tyler, Edwin D. Pine.
This fraternity suffered great loss in way of its hall and records in the great conflagration which swept so many valuable buildings away in December, 1911. It rebuilt and that structure is the present imposing Masonic hall, said to be fire-proof.
In the summer of 1914 the Masonic bodies in Fayette County were as follows
Fayette Lodge No. 107 had a membership of two hundred and thirty-one; Bloomingburg Lodge, ninety-six; Jeffersonville Lodge, ninety-six; resident Masons, fifty-one; total Master Masons, four hundred and seventy- seven; Fayette Chapter, two hundred and fifty-seven; Fayette Council, sixty- four; Garfield Commandery, two hundred and seven; Royal Chapter, Order Eastern Star, one hundred and ninety-seven; Forest Chapter, Order Eastern Star, sixty-two; Jefferson Chapter, Order Eastern Star, ninety-five.
Fayette Lodge No. 107, Free and Accepted Masons, was instituted and commenced work in Washington C. H., Ohio, December 7th, A. L. 5839, (A. D. 1830,) pursuant to a dispensation granted by the Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Ohio, under date of November 29, 1839. It was dedicated December 26, 1840, by the M. W. Grand Master, Bro. W. J. Rees, under a charter granted by the Grand Lodge of Ohio, bearing date October 22, 1840.
The charter members of this lodge were Joel S. Bereman, Samuel F. Yeoman, Samuel Millikan, Joseph Bell, Jacob Ott, Valentine Coil, and Daniel McLean.
Bro. McLean is the only charter member now living, and is the oldest affiliating Mason in Fayette County. He was initiated an Entered Apprentice, July 2, 1825; passed to the degree of Fellow Craft, and raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason, August 6, 1825, by Hillsboro Lodge No. 38. He has taken all the degrees up to and including Knights Templar, and is an active member of all the bodies.
The following are the officers who have filled the several stations in the lodge, from the date of its frganization, in the year 1839, up to the present time, 1881 :
Year. Secretary. Tyler.
1863.J. P. Robinson, James W. Miller,
1864.J. P. Robinson, James W. Miller,
1865.B. H. Millikan, A. J. Lewis.
1866.IS. H. Millikan, L. C, Karney,
1867.B. H. Millikan, L. 0. Karney,
1868.B. H. Millikan, L. C. Karney,
1869.B. H. Millikan, L. C. Karney,
1870.B. H. Millikan, L. C. Karney,
1871.B. H. Millikan, L. C. Karney,
1872.B. H. Millikan, L. C. Karney,
1873.B. H. Millikan, S. F. Johnson,
1874.B. H. Millikan, W. H. Hammer,
1875.B. H. Millikan, C. H. Larrimer,
1876.B. H. Millikan, George W. Chaffin,
1877.B. H. Millikan, C. S. Snyder,
1878.B. H. Millikan, – W. H. Hammer,
1879.B. H. Millikan, J. L, Millikan,
1880.B. H. Millikan, J. L. Millikan,
1881.B. H. Millikan, J. L. Millikan.