Dalton #578

Dalton Lodge No. 578

 
Stated Meetings:
Third Thusday
Jan-Jun/Sep-Dec @7:30 PM
34 1/2 W MAIN ST
WILMINGTON OH, 45177
History
Chartered October 20th, 1898
The Masonic Lodge in New Vienna dates to 1847 when John E. Dalton and 14 others petitioned the Grand Lodge of Ohio for a Dispensation to form a Lodge.  New Vienna Lodge #160 was chartered on September 27, 1848 to 27 members with John Dalton as Worshipful Master.  Almost 50 years later a dispute arose in the Lodge which so divided the members that it was almost impossible to conduct business, and the Grand Master eventually pulled the charter. Dalton Lodge #578 was formed the very next year, in 1898. Over the years, Dalton Lodge routinely took action to assist widows and orphans, in one case even buying a house for a widow.  More recently, in 1987, Dalton Lodge became the sponsoring organization of New Vienna Boy Scout Troop 97.  Several Scouts from this troop have become members of Dalton Lodge.  Last year, Dalton Lodge raised over $1,000.00 for Special Olympics, donating money to both the state and Clinton County Special Olympics.  Dalton Lodge has had one Grand Lodge Officer, Right Worshipful Brother Gary W. Cooper, District Deputy Grand Master, 2005 – 2007.
More History…
Dalton Lodge No. 578, F. & A. M.
Wilmington, Ohio, Formerly New Vienna, Ohio
Serving the Citizens of New Vienna, Clinton County, and the Surrounding Area
The Masonic Lodge at New Vienna, Ohio, dates back to 1847 when John E. Dalton and fourteen others petitioned the Grand Lodge of Ohio for dispensation to form a Lodge. Most Worshipful Brother Michael Z. Krieger granted the dispensation and on October 20, 1847. The first meeting was held at the residence of A. S. Amberg. The first line of officers was:
John E. Dalton Worshipful Master
A. S. Amberg Senior Warden
Jonathon Wright Junior Warden
Jonathon Hodson Senior Deacon
N. W. Cummings Junior Deacon
Clabourne Bennett Treasurer
Jessie Beals Secretary
Thomas Williams Tyler
On September 27, 1848, during Grand Lodge Communications, Most Worshipful Brother Michael Z. Kreider granted a Charter to New Vienna Lodge No. 160. The membership was 27 and within the first ten years the membership roll increased to 69.
In 1873, the Lodge added a second story to a building under construction, once sitting where the National Bank parking lot resides. The cost of the addition was $1, 350.00. During the 1850s, New Vienna Lodge No.160 and I. O. O. F. jointly founded the New Vienna Cemetery and in 1910 the I. O. O. F. assumed full control. Also in the 1880s the Lodge purchased a home in Russell Station for one of its member’s widow.
In 1867, members from New Vienna Lodge formed Martinsville Lodge No. 391.
October 20, at the Grand Lodge annual communications, Grand Master Williams issued a new charter to Dalton Lodge No. 578, New Vienna, Ohio. The first meeting was held on October 28, 1898, under the direction of Right Worshipful Samuel B. Evans, District Lecturer, and acting under a warrant from the Grand Master. The sole purpose of his presence was to constitute the new Lodge. Seven new petitions were read after a new Lodge was constituted.
On May 18, 1928, a motion was made to purchase the Knights of Pythias Hall for $1,250.00. The hall was not purchased until much later. On April 16, of 1942, WM J. Warren Terrell appointed a committee consisting of R. B. Smith, WB Glenn Southerland, and WB Homer Williams to purchase the Charter Oak K. of P. Hall. The committee reported in June, July, and August the same year and the Hall was purchased. Dalton Lodge met at this location through March of 1994. On April 15, 1994, Dalton moved their location to the Temple at Wilmington, Ohio. Dalton originally met on the third Friday, but on December 19, 1930, the meeting day was changed to the third Thursday and has not changed since.
Since the original Charter in 1898, Dalton Lodge has faithfully practiced the Tenets of Freemasonry, Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth. Most predominately Relief, through charitable endeavors, Dalton Lodge has assisted widows of its members, individuals, community organizations, such as the fire department, PTO, local churches, Lions International, State and Clinton County Special Olympics, and Boy Scout Troop No. 97, just to name a few. Note that Dalton Lodge has chartered and sponsored Troop 97 BSA since 1987.
Dalton Lodge celebrated its One-Hundredth Anniversary on October 26, 1998. The Lodge has had one Grand Lodge Officer, Right Worshipful Brother Gary W. Cooper, District Deputy Grand Master 2005, 2006, and 2007.
Respectfully Submitted,
WB Gene Williams
Lodge Historian