Clarksville Lodge No. 323
Jan-Jun/Sep-Dec @7:30 PM 52 W MAIN ST
CLARKSVILLE OH, 45113
Chartered October 19th, 1860
In October of 1860 a Charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of Ohio to create Clarksville Lodge #323. There were 24 charter members.
Cheyenne Duggins served as Worshipful Master in 2004 – 2005. He has also been elected Worshipful Master for the bi-centennial year of 2008. Also DDGM as of 2020.More History…A dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Ohio to form a new Lodge in Clarksville was granted in April 1860. Recommended by Morrow Lodge #265 and Harveysburg Lodge #312. A charter was granted in October 1860. There were twenty-four charter members. Stated communications were, Thursday evening on or preceding each full moon, the reason for this was if the weather was fair, it would be moonlight for the brethren to travel to and from meetings. Time of meeting; September to March, 6:00 P.M. Summer months at 7:30 P.M.The first Master was E.T.M. Williams, serving from 1861 to 1866. W.B. Williams was the last surviving Charter member when his death occurred in 1909. He had been an active member for 49 years.In 1902 the Charter and records (except the records for the first eighteen years, which one of the officers had at home, and the history of the first forty years , which had just been written by Bro. George Wilkerson), furnishings and paraphernalia of the Lodge were destroyed by fire.In 1910, after fifty years, the membership had grown to fifty-one. Clarksville Lodge presently meets in a building which was presented to them by Bro. Joseph Nicholson. The Nickolson family and their decedents have been active members of this Lodge for five generations. Bro. William Settlemyer is a fifth generation generation member of that family.
The Lodge had grown to 55 members in 1935 when the Lodge observed it’s 75th year.
On the 100th anniversary in 1960, the Most Worshipful Brother Charles K. Cunningham, Grand Master and other Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge of Ohio met in Reconsecration ceremonies. At this meeting the Lodge also paid tribute to their charter members and all deceased members who had the foresight and determination to establish an institution that has been for the betterment of this community, and after over 100 years has grown to membership of 116.
Since then the Lodge has been honored by having the following members honored. R.W.B Glenn Hollingsworth, 33rd Degree, served as District Deputy Grand Master of the Eighth Masonic District from 1967-1969, W.B. Robert Sargent served as District Lodge Education Officer from 1993-1995 and W.B. Steven A. Duncan served as Grand High Priest from 2003-2004 and received his 33rd Degree in September 2004.